We made a new friend at the General Service Office (GSO) meeting last Friday. His name is Mel B. from Toledo, Ohio and he is a long time member of AA who got sober on April 15, 1950. Next month he will be celebrating his 60th AA anniversary. Click here to visit Mel B. at his website. What are your anniversary plans, Mel?
Mel modestly refers to himself as a “casual historian” of Alcoholics Anonymous and has authored some very well known books on AA history and numerous articles on recovery including:
• Pass It On (Mel is the principle co-author. This book is considered the official biography of Bill W. )
• New Wine: The Spiritual Roots of the 12 Step Miracle
• My Search for Bill W.
• Ebby: The Man Who Sponsored Bill W.
• Three Recovery Classics: As a Man Thinketh by James Allen, The Greatest Thing in the World by Henry
Drummond, An Instrument of Peace the St. Francis Prayer.
• The 7 Key Principles of Successful Recovery (co-authored with Hazelden editor Bill P.)
• 101 Meeting Starters: A Guide to Better 12 Step Discussions
• Walk in Dry Places (inspirational messages for every day of the year)
• Authored over 50 articles for the Grapevine (click here to read some of his Grapevine articles!)
For a complete list of books by Mel, please click here.
To buy an autographed copy of books or articles by Mel, please click here.
After lunch, we went to look at the archives. Mel pointed to a beautifully captured photograph of Bill W. hanging on the wall and said “I took that picture of Bill W. when he was standing in front of Dr. Bob’s grave”. That was surreal. Here is the photograph that Mel snapped, along with his recollections of that day.
As an AA pioneer, Mel will be one of the guest speakers at the Old-Timers Meetings on Saturday night in San Antonio at the 2010 International Convention for Alcoholics Anonymous.
In the meantime, we look forward to having Mel join us for a special Speaker Meeting online at our Stepworkshop.com website. Mel has graciously agreed to be a guest speaker and to answer questions presented by Step Workshop participants in an online meeting. The date and time for the Speaker Meeting will be announced soon. So get your questions ready for Mel!